Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Email & Pictures - June 23, 2012

Hope you all enjoy the picture I sent, may be the last! Haha, we were eating in the chapel on an exchange cause the member who gave us food had to leave and gave it to us in Tupperware. Right as I went to suck on the chicken neck in my soup, the bowl decided to dump on my pants. Dang chicken necks.

 This week was the same old same old, interviews, we look at Area Books and Missionary Daily Planners, we speak with the Zone Leaders about their goals for this week (and we are pressuring them a lot, we could get a pretty big number of ordinances this month to finish it off). I am having fun with Elder Hancock, he is a really great missionary.  He is a great leader and has taught me much.

 This last weekend, yesterday actually, we had a great experience. And by saying we, I mean me and the other 2 missionaries I was with since me and my companion are NEVER together to teach haha. We were in 26 de Febrero (partly to enjoy my favorite mountain one last time) and the last visit of the night was to ask baptismal permission from a mother whose kids have gone to church for a month or so with their member grandma. The missionaries had tried all week and the mother wouldn't budge, they were happy to have me there, but we did all we could to have the spirit and teach the missionaries how to get to people's hearts. As we got speaking with her, we let her simply speak about her kids, God, her own life, etc, it was a great conversation. Our lesson then was guided towards baptism, a few scriptures were read, a few testimonies born, to be honest, it wasn't anything all that abnormal or special. But I have the strongest testimony of God's love and the role of the Holy Ghost. We listened and the Spirit guided each and every one of us as the scriptures, the experiences and the inspired questions got to this mother's heart. She accepted that her children be baptized and accepted to listen to the missionaries. We invited her to kneel with us and finish with a prayer and her 9 year old boy came running in, kneeled down beside her and helped the mother say a prayer. We were all filled with the spirit, we were all emotionally moved, heaven and earth came a little closer that night in the house of Mildred. I asked the missionaries after what they had learned during the day, what called their attention and they both said 'The importance of lovingly listening to the people and faithfully following the spirit.'

 It was a small experience really, not any outstanding miracle, but my testimony of the Savior, His work and the Holy Ghost were strengthened as a mother took the most important decision in the life of the family. There are too many people in need to be thinking, worrying, or doing for ourselves. Let us serve others. Let us listen with our eyes fixed in theirs. Let us respond faithfully and firmly, our eyes in theirs. The Gospel is always the best solution and it is never about us. The Gospel means nothing without those around us. Let us love, let us listen and we shall see our lives glisten. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

 I love you all, this work is inspired and I shall not stop.

 Elder Griffin McGinn

No comments:

Post a Comment